These tasty home-made burgers use extra-lean beef mince lightened with couscous and flavoured with herbs and chilli. Serve on a slice of French bread.
Lean burgers with rocket and peppers
Takes 25 – 35 minutes, Serves 6
- 90g couscous (uncooked weight)
- 500g extra lean minced beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2tsp mixed dried herbs
- 3 tbsp snipped chives
- ¼ tsp hot chilli powder
- 6 (30g) slices French bread
- 6tsp Dijon mustard
- 175g roasted red peppers from a jar, cut into large pieces (choose ones in brine, or rinse them if they’re packed in oil)
- A couple of handful of rocket leaves
1. Tip the couscous into a medium bowl, pour over 100ml boiling water and leave it for a few minutes to swell and absorb all the water.
2. Add the mince, onion, dried herbs, chives and chilli powder, then grind in plenty of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly then shape into six oval burgers that are slightly larger than the bread slices. Cover with foil and chill until ready to cook.
3. Heat the grill or barbecue, then cook the burgers for 5-6 minutes on each side, or more if you like them well cooked.
4. Grill or lightly toast the slices of bread and spread with the mustard. Top with the peppers, rocket and a burger and serve.